Published in Osteoporosis International, ‘The APCO Framework’ comprises 16 minimum clinical standards that will serve as a benchmark for the provision of optimal osteoporosis care in the region.
The APCO Framework offers clinicians structured, well-articulated, and readily accessible clinical practice guidelines that define:
- Individuals to be identified for assessment;
- Investigations required;
- Relevant indications for treatment;
- Appropriate selection of interventions to be made;
- The guidance and information patients need for self-care;
- Integration of healthcare systems for optimal provision of care; and
- The need, and methods for monitoring and improving the quality of osteoporosis care.
“Implementation of The APCO Framework, or a similar set of standards of care informed by the Framework, is expected to significantly reduce the burden of osteoporosis not only in the Asia Pacific region, but also worldwide. We hope that the Framework can serve as a stimulus for harmonisation of guidelines in other regions that have similar socio-economic diversity and heterogeneity of health care resources,” - Dr Manju Chandran, Senior Consultant, Department of Endocrinology, Director, Osteoporosis & Bone Metabolism Unit, Singapore General Hospital.
To learn more, visit www.apcobonehealth.org.